The Mother Sri Lanka Story
Mother Sri Lanka is the story of how the people of one resilient island nation in the Indian Ocean did not allow thirty long years of terrorism drown their hopes and dreams for their motherland. It is the story of a small group of patriotic citizens who wanted to tell their family of twenty million to hold their heads high in pride, believing in themselves. The story of how a country can overcome bloodshed and rise from the ashes of war, learning from the mistakes of the past, uniting under one flag, as one nation, as one people who believe in their country.
- Our approach is holistic. We touch the lives of our future generation from pre-school, through school to university. Our aim is to make them believe in themselves.
- We believe that economic empowerment is a great equalizer. Hence, our work with urban and rural communities covers gender equality, livelihood development
- We have a bottom up approach starting at grass root level with a network across all 25 districts of the country
- We operate with minimum overheads and hence giving the maximum returns to our partners
- An organization that is transparent in our work and our finances with an unblemished track record since 2008
- It is a unique movement started by a group of professionals from private & public sectors
- We urge you to join us on this journey of love, towards building a better Sri Lanka
The Mother Sri Lanka (MSL) movement was started in 2008 by the Mother Sri Lanka Trust which is a non-profit, independent charity using a unique operational model of private funding, public sector infrastructure and managed by a team of professionals from all sectors. The movement is managed by a group of patriotic, dedicated passionate individuals from the public, private and non-profit sectors. In 2016, the Board and the Management of the Mother Sri Lanka movement expanded its’ scope and established the Mother Lanka Foundation which is set up as a non-profit organisation responsible for the movements programs and activities.
The foundation and the trust carries out work under the brand name “Mother ஸ்ரீ ලංකා” (read as Mother Sri Lanka, and mean to represent the Motherland) with the logo/name written in all three languages and the tagline “My family of twenty million people” has being designed to resemble a movement for everyone from all ethnic and religious groups to work in unity to build a successful future for all.
Our dream is to see the people of this land believe in themselves and hold their heads high as citizens of one proud nation.
To be a catalyst to generate “Good Citizenry” behavior patterns among Sri Lankans through their Spiritual, Educational, Socio-Economic and Cultural development.
- To inculcate and promote ‘responsible citizenry behavior’ that supports nation building
- To heal the hearts and minds disillusioned due to the war and instead, build reconciliation and peaceful co-existence among all ethnicities in the country
- To promote the overall welfare of children and engage in the promotion of their rights, benefits, education, health and other related issues
- To promote gender equality and the empowerment of women thereby enabling them to play a positive role in nation building
- To engage in poverty alleviation and livelihood development activities
- To rekindle the pride of being Sri Lankan
- Proud to be Sri Lankan
- Responsible citizens
“I must change for my country to change”